Monday, May 12, 2008

Recession! Recession! Recession!

Business is slow and I have nothing but time on my hands to catch up my reading, improve my Spider Solitaire win percentages and contemplate how to get new clients. Since money is tight and everyone is afraid to spend any money on marketing, including me -- I have to be creative in this tough market.

So here are my surefire recession proof marketing ideas. (We will know post recession if they are indeed surefire and recession proof.)

1. blog - Post all ideas! Aha moments! Articles! Creative inspirations! Etc., post everything on your blog.

2. Cheap Marketing Tactics -- Remember when you came up with that idea to sell ice cold bottled water on a hot day? I know someone already is capitalizing on your idea. Well, find cool and fun ways to get your company's or businesses name out there. I am going to send extra large post cards to all of my dream clients. The post cards costs $199.00 on www.modernpostcard.com and I am sending one to Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Oprah Winfrey, and so on...........hey it can't hurt?

3. Stay inspired - Read -- Now is the time to catch up on all of that reading you never have time for when you are busy running your life or business. Here are a few of my favorite publications!

Inc Magazine
Fast Company (The Design Annual is my Favorite)
Dwell
Hospitality Design
Metropolitan Home
HOW
Business 2.0
The New York Times
The Wall Street Journal

Let's hope this recession ends soon. I will update the blog in a few days with a copy of our postcard. Recessions are great for lots of creative ideas!

Karen

No comments: