Monday, February 22, 2010


We are so excited about the changes that are making their through AM+G Marketing and Communications and we want to share them with you! We are currently revamping our website so look around for that! We are also working launching our social media campaign. As a part of this campaign we have just created our Facebook fan page, Click Here to visit and become a fan.
We will also be posting blogs at least once a week. Every week we will highlight one member of our staff and who better to start with than our president and CEO Karen Alston.

Education: I went to Howard University and graduated with a Bachelors of Business Administration in 1993. My major was Finance. The Finance program at Howard University was extremely difficult but in the end it was a great choice for my career. Today I combine left and right brain activities in my day to day duties. I have taken graduate courses at Howard University and Harvard University.

Did You Always Want to do Advertising: No, not at all, I wanted a career on Wall Street with a big yearly bonus! I never thought about Advertising in undergrad however, earlier in my corporate career I got a taste for marketing and advertising. At America Online I fell in love with interactive advertising. When I started AM+G I wanted to market movies and TV shows. To this day New Line Cinema and Weinstein Companies are both brands I would love to work with and collaborate on marketing and branding strategy. I decided to start my own company in 2002. At the urging of my boyfriend at the time. He knew I always wanted to own a business and I come from a family of entrepreneurs; my grandfather owned a business in West Philadelphia for over 30 years, my mom a owner of two businesses one since 1983, my brother a successful photographer www.kwakualston.com and great aunts, uncles, cousins several of whom own businesses. Entrepreneurship is in my blood.


Past Jobs: I started my career at JP Morgan out of college, what a great experience and a amazing company. At JP Morgan I learned the value of hard work and teamwork. After JP Morgan I went to work for MBNA America Bank. At MBNA I learned the value of mentors. I have mentors today that have known me from my early days of my career and their guidance and advice is invaluable. I went to America Online in 1999-- I loved AOL and at AOL grew to have a passion for Advertising and Marketing.


Favorite Part of Advertising: Clients and interacting with people. Taking an idea from conception to reality. It is the greatest feeling to watch something grow from a small idea to completion.


Least Favorite Part of Advertising: Too many snow days in one winter season!


What Sets Your Company Apart? We are a small company and we are proud of our size. Being small allows AM+G to respond quickly to client needs. It allows the principals of the company to interact with clients, to give them the "old fashioned" client service that understands their company, their brand, their customers/members and most importantly why the marketing or advertising campaign has to be successful.


Top 10 Dream Clients:

1. Thompson Hotels- www.thompsonhotels.com

First of all I have a passion for design, all design, architecture, interior design, graphic design but mainly great design. I have been following this brand for year. It was one of the first brands to speak to me as a consumer on the fun on staying in small boutique hotels. Their brand is fun, engaging, stylish, and luxurious. It speaks to a hip, urban, luxury consumer -- who isn't pretentious. I hope to stay in the Hollywood property some day soon. This is my number one dream brand!

2. Wealth TV

I discovered Wealth TV a few months ago, a fairly new company and brand based out of San Diego, CA. Wealth TV is a great channel geared to the rich, successful, and those who want to be rich one day. I love the travel shows, the tour of amazing homes, and the programming speaks to me. I am rooting for this channel and would love to help them grow into a major cable channel powerhouse.

3. New Line Cinema

A cutting edge movie company, a subsidiary of Time Warner, this company distributes films such as The Lord of the Rings and Sex and the City. Years ago when I worked for AOL I spoke to one of the marketing managers. I was so impressed with the methods and strategy's New Line Cinema uses to promote movies. Social marketing is a huge strategy for this company and I would love to work with them on creative interactive ads that grab the attention of different demographics.

4. TED Conferences

5. Wyclef's Yele Haiti Organization

For the tragedy and the joy of spotlighting the good works this organization is doing to improve the lives of Haitian's and an opportunity to showcase good positive stories, images and results.

6. Sarah Palin

An amazing brand -- Sarah Palin has captivated the nation, no matter if you love or hate her she is fascinating and an important part of our culture. A relatively new brand and one that is evolving.

7. McDonald's

Ever since I was a little kid I have wanted to produce and write a McDonald's commercial. Now my favorite commercial is running "Filet of Fish - Talking Fish" for lent and passover. I love this commercial, the creativity and the sheer fun McDonald's has in all of its advertising. The creative team at McDonald's understand what appeals to children, adults and the child in all of us.

8. Air Jordan

9. Turks and Caicos

Travel and tourism have always interested me and here is a destination that has recently aggressively marketed themselves to developers, travel enthusiasts and the overseas marketplace.

10. Beyonce

Check back again soon for more interviews!

No comments: