Wednesday, March 17, 2010


It is a gorgeous day here in at AMG. We are embracing the warm weather with open arms... this has definitely been a long time coming! We hope you are enjoying your day as well and if not (or even if you are) perhaps this interview with our Creative Director Albert Whitley can help to bring a little more enjoyment to your day! If you are familiar with AM+G’s work that you have definitely seen a lot of Albert’s work. He is currently working on a revamping our capability statement so keep looking back for its premier.

Albert Whitley is an award-winning designer / design director with 10 years of experience in strategic brand design from integrated marketing programs, digital design, print and online advertising, branded experiences, environments, social media, packaging and print applications.

He is driven by equal parts design and business. As a design visionary, Albert's synthesis of the design profession is to be culturally sensitive, inspire, and to connect with meaning. His vast experiences, has allowed him to develop and lead world-class design solutions which impact brand strategy and increase business growth.

He has collaborated alongside with senior executives and creative leaders to create meaningful design solutions for global brands such as Adobe, Amway Global, BMW, Herman Miller, Maybelline New York, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars and Tele Atlas. His design contributions have been recognized and awarded by leading design publications, and appeared as a guest critic and panelist in leading discussions on design practice and trends.

Albert graduated from The Art Institute of Atlanta with a degree in Graphic Design. He currently serves on the AIGA Atlanta chapter board for the professional organization for design and The Society of Typographic Aficionado, an organization dedicated to type, typography and related arts.

Did you always want to do advertising?

I can remember in high school having a passion for communication, technology and science. Advertising and design sort of found me. A former high school teacher introduced me to the profession early on and my mom, in her own way, also introduced it to me advertising and design. My mom would always have me create church bulletins, plus my high school classmates always had me make flyers for parties. It was kind of fun, I learned what a printing was early on without even knowing what a printing press really was. Oddly enough I found myself addicted to creating stories, making imagery and playing with my Mac in my free time.

Why did you decide to start your own company?
Coming from a family of entrepreneur’s it has always been ingrained in our mind as kids – my sister and I – to run our own businesses. I have always had a passion for business, the process of operations and the endurance to sustain a healthy client base has always interested me. When I was 20, I started working for my father's company, MED transit, as a part-time driver and would drive patients to their doctor's appointments on a weekly basis. It was nice to make some extra cash for the summer but when I began to understand how my performance as a driver impacted business I knew that I wanted to own my own design studio.

Did you work anywhere before?
I was employed by a leading design agency, Grant Design Collaborative in Canton, GA. I learned a great deal from Mr. Grant and the design team about communication design, brand design and development, print, digital design, showroom design and product design. We wore many hats there. We did not do the traditional role of a designer and I really appreciate the lessons i learned there as a designer.

Favorite part of advertising?
My favorite part about advertising is the ideation and design development process. I enjoy collaborating with others who are willing to bring a viable voice or point of view. It is sort of fun and magical how we as designers can take a blank canvas and employ wonderful works that communicate and inspire.

Least favorite part?
Here are some things that can kill a strong creative idea or the ideation process fast – a bloated creative brief, a client with no vision or doesn't understand what we do, and last millions of revisions. I prefer to develop a strong relationship with clients, streamline the process, and allow creativity to thrive in a healthy environment. It is also equally as important that I have my client's business best interest. The is bottom line is the that if a client wants to be engaged, make sure their message is clear and concise and most importantly generates ROI for their business

Top 10 Dream Clients:

1. Apple
2. Olympics
3. Volkswagon
4. Dior
5. Tate Museum
6. Starbucks
7. Aveda
8. Godiva
9. Unilever
10. Google

As always don’t forget to check out our Facebook and Twitter pages!

No comments: